A Spiritual Journey
a one year journey of solitude and community
Each week Bob Chisholm leads 6-8 very small groups of Christians in a time of sharing and discussion of the inner life and the outer expression of God’s inner spiritual formation. These groups meet in the very early morning, at mid-morning, or at mid-day. Each group member follows a 52-week Spiritual Journey study that provides a structured quiet time for 6 days of each week through the year. Over 200 of our church members have gone through this journey, including several of our elders. Many are active deacons, Bible Class leaders, small group leaders and ministry leaders.
If you are interested in making this Spiritual Journey the requirements are
- A one year commitment to the journey.
- A commitment to the solitude of daily quiet time.
- A commitment to the community of meeting each week in group discussion.
- A willingness to read the weekly writings, scriptures, hymns and prayers.
- A partnership in creating a place of safe discussion.
Feel free to talk to Bob about being a part of the next round of groups.
Here are the 52 weekly themes:
BOOK ONE …
1. BEGINNING — God Knows Where You’re Going.
2. RESTING — Because You’re Exhausted.
3. ENTERING — Meet God Inside Your Own Heart.
4. ADDRESSING — Begin Your Prayer In Astonishment.
5. DESIRING — Seek God First. He Will Provide The Rest.
6. QUIETING — Rediscover Silence And Solitude.
7. ASKING — Bring Your Needs To The Father.
8. REFLECTING — Meditate. Ponder. Contemplate. Think.
9. LEARNING — Continue To Search For God’s Truth.
10. WRITING — Discover The Power Of Journaling.
11. ACCEPTING — Open Your Heart To God’s Guidance.
12. MANAGING — Use God’s Priorities To Balance Your Time.
13. SETTLING — Look For Places To Pause And Pray.
BOOK TWO …
14. CHOOSING — Give God The Space To Act.
15. LISTENING — Prayer Is Not Just About You Talking.
16. ADMITTING — Use The Power Of Confession.
17. INTERCEDING — Lift Others Up To God In Prayer.
18. READING — Return Again And Again To God’s Word.
19. DISENGAGING — Picture A Heart Clean And Clear Of Clutter.
20. MENTORING — Who Taught You? Who Can You Teach?
21. REFRAINING — Learn To Talk Less And Filter More.
22. SHARING — Find Spiritual Maturity In Community.
23. RELEASING — Seek God’s Will By Surrendering Control.
24. SEARCHING — Find God, And Then Continue To Seek Him.
25. CENTERING — Focus Your Life Of Faith.
26. TRUSTING — Remain Faithful When The Journey Becomes Difficult.
BOOK THREE …
27. WITNESSING — Learn To Be God’s Evangelistic Partner.
28. GIVING — Discover The Joy Of Generosity.
29. FOLLOWING — Remember, You Are Not The Guide.
30. WORSHIPPING — Don’t Worship Your Experience Of God, Worship God.
31. REJOICING — Find The Difference Between Happiness And Joy.
32. FASTING — Rediscover This Ancient Practice Of Self-Denial.
33. RESISTING — The Enemy Wages War Against Your Soul.
34. GATHERING — Recommit To Our “One Another” Faith.
35. WAITING — Find The Connection Between Stillness And Strength.
36. HUMBLING — Downsize Your Pride By Standing Next To God.
37. OBEYING — Fear God And Keep His Commandments.
38. WELCOMING — Use Your Home As A Place For Healing.
39. JOINING — Community, Unity And Fellowship Are God’s Desire.
BOOK FOUR …
40. PURIFYING — God Must Go Deep To Cleanse Your Heart.
41. ORDERING — Allow God To Re-Order Your Private World.
42. OPENING — Be Transparent With God And Close Relationships.
43. PROMISING — Draw Upon God’s Commitment As You Extend Yours.
44. LOVING — Learn To Love Those You May Not Like.
45. SYMPATHIZING — Your Compassion Changes Others … And You.
46. GROWING — Move Beyond “Should Be” To “Can Be.”
47. SERVING — Determine To Be God’s Compassion.
48.THANKING — Imagine Gratitude Reshaping Your Heart.
49.LIBERATING — Seek Freedom, Not Entitlement.
50.LIVING — Break Down The Wall Between Sacred And Secular.
51. PROTECTING — Move Beyond Submission To Surrender.
52. TRAVELING — Live As A Pilgrim, But Not A Stranger In This World.